2013/03/26

Animals in Art - Martin Usborne


the difference in mind between man and the higher animals,
great as it is, certainly is one of degree and not of kind

Darwin


Buzz, from the series The Silence of Dogs in Cars





Stan



Prospero



Pico 2



Peggy 2



Nelson



Maus



Margaux



Jackson



Flo



Bolt 2



Alfie



Hector 2



Bones



Bear & Kessie



Prospero 2


Artist's Statement (excerpt)
I was once left in a car at a young age. (...)
The fear I felt was strong: in a child’s mind it is possible to be alone forever.

When I started this project I knew the photos would be dark. In a sense, I was attempting to go back inside my car, to re-experience what I couldn’t bear as a child. What I didn’t expect was to see so many subtle reactions by the dogs: some sad, some expectant, some angry, some dejected. It was as if upon opening up a box of grey-coloured pencils I was surprised to see so many shades inside. (source)

Artist's Website


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...